Potential Research Questions
Which nutritional advice shall I give my patient?
How can I achieve the intended weight loss?
Can health effects of this functional nutrition be proven?
Status Quo and Medical Need
It is common sense that healthy nutrition and physical activity have positive health effects. The problem is, what is healthy and what is not is not always clear-cut. The recent discussion whether polyunsaturated fatty acids are not that healthy after all, and the long held but wrong believe that nutritional cholesterol sources are bad, are examples. It also turns out that a food that may be healthy for one person may not be so healthy for another – with genetic background, lifestyle and environmental factors, as well as the microbiome contributing to the variability of health effects of food.
Targeted Metabolomics is a powerful technology to generate broad molecular profiles that can shed light on the effects that food components have under specific circumstances. It can be applied in basic and clinical research, and also helps optimize nutrition of farm animals.
Biocrates is a partner in the Nutritech consortium.
Relevant Metabolite Classes
- A number of amino acids are essential and need to be taken up with food or provided by intestinal bacteria. Within this group, increased branched chain amino acid levels are early markers of diabetes. Tryptophan, another essential amino acid, is important in immune regulation.
Metabolite class covered: AbsoluteIDQ® p180 Kit
- Fatty acid intake is intensively discussed especially with regard to vascular health.
- Disturbed fatty acid metabolism may contribute to diabetes via effects on skeletal muscle, adipose tissue and the liver.
Metabolite class covered: Metabolic Phenotyping Services – Free or Total Fatty Acids Assay
- Bile acids are produced from cholesterol and are important in ingesting lipophilic food contents.
- The microbiome may change under lifestyle intervention. Bile acids are in heavy interaction with the microbiome via the enterohepatic circulation.
Metabolite class covered: Biocrates® Bile Acids Kit
- Semba et al.: Environmental Enteric Dysfunction is Associated with Carnitine Deficiency and Altered Fatty Acid Oxidation; EBioMedicine 2017
- Sung et al.: Improved glucose homeostasis in obese mice treated with resveratrol is associated with alterations in the gut microbiome; Diabetes 2016
- Hochkogler et al.: A 12-week intervention with nonivamide, a TRPV1 agonist, prevents a dietary-induced body fat gain and increases peripheral serotonin in moderately overweight subjects; Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 2016
- Mera et al.: Osteocalcin Signaling in Myofibers Is Necessary and Sufficient for Optimum Adaptation to Exercise; Cell Metabolism 2016
- Peterson et al.: Identification of Altered Metabolomic Profiles Following a Panchakarma-based Ayurvedic Intervention in Healthy Subjects: The Self-Directed Biological Transformation Initiative (SBTI); Scientific reports 2016
- Allam-Ndoul et al.: Associations between branched chain amino acid levels, obesity and cardiometabolic complications; Integr. Obesity Diabetes 2015
- Holz et al.: Constant-load exercise decreases the serum concentration of myeloperoxidase in healthy smokers and smokers with COPD; Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2015
- Metzler-Zebeli et al.: Enzymatically Modified Starch Ameliorates Postprandial Serum Triglycerides and Lipid Metabolome in Growing Pigs; PLoS One 2015
- Schmidt et al.: Metabolic profiles of male meat eaters, fish eaters, vegetarians, and vegans from the EPIC-Oxford cohort; The American Journal of Nutrition 2015.
For more information, please contact us!
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.